Cadenza Innovation, Inc. is an award-winning energy storage innovation company based in Connecticut and answering the call for safe, low-cost, high-performing and longer-lasting lithium-ion batteries – today. Founded in 2012 by an internationally respected team of industry experts with more than 125 patents, the Company licenses its game-changing lithium-ion battery architecture – the ‘supercell’ – to manufacturers in the transportation, utility/grid and industrial markets. Cadenza Innovation is backed by funding from the U.S. Department of Energy, the states of New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts, Golden Seeds and private investors from around the globe.
We are seeking a seasoned Chief Financial Officer, who is hands-on, and has startup industry and fundraising experience coupled with an extensive background in contract negotiations, while possessing the business savvy, gravitas and presence to sit at the executive table. Our company is headed by the dynamic, world-famous innovator and battery technologist, Dr. Christina Lampe-Onnerud.
With a management team of recognized authorities in the battery industry, Cadenza Innovation, Inc. has dramatically lowered the cost and improved the safety of lithium-ion batteries and its components, while delivering outstanding performance that challenges the industry competition. This is an excellent opportunity to get in with an exciting and dynamic, pre-IPO, startup company that offers tremendous growth, challenge and reward.
The CFO reports directly to our Founder and Chief Executive Officer and will assume an active role with the company’s executive and finance team members taking ownership of all Accounting, Human Resources and Legal functions. The successful incumbent will further build on the current process, implementing and building out the management reporting framework, to provide meaningful financial and operational metrics that will help drive decision-making across the organization.
He/she will also function as the Treasurer for the company and be responsible for best-in-class financial planning and reporting processes to support the continued growth and expansion of Cadenza Innovation, Inc.
We are looking for someone with sound business judgment, strategic thinking, and broad financial and business perspective across a global organization, to add value as a senior, full-time, member of the executive team.
- Oversee and lead the FP&A function, including coordination with international teams;
- Partner with the CEO, executive team and functional leadership to provide insights into the business, understand needs and goals, and help create a sustainable long-term business;
- Lead proactive communications, cross functionally, to ensure internal and investor [or: internal and external stakeholder] understanding of financial objectives and processes relevant to a leading commercial energy storage innovation organization;
- Provide strategic leadership to drive the Company’s global budget, forecast and long-range planning processes, including the preparation of presentations, analysis and communications;
- Assist in performing corporate strategic planning, including both short-term and long-term analysis;
- Strategically analyze competing projects, investments and costs and their impact on the Company’s cash runway and fundraising considerations;
- Develop processes that enhance senior management’s financial stewardship in support of the Company’s growth plan;
- Assess strengths and weaknesses of the business’s financial management strategies and implement steps to improve them;
- Oversee the financial operations of subsidiary companies and foreign operations;
- Work with functional leaders to implement best practices in managing spend and improving the Company’s overall financial and operational efficiency, including identifying opportunities for expense management and other cost-saving initiatives;
- Prepare analyses, commentary and presentations to key internal and external stakeholders, including investors and sell-side analysts;
- Provide support for corporate partnering, transactions and other projects that will arise, including existing collaborations;
- Partner with department heads on accounting and operations to build a best-in-class global finance organization, including development and mentoring of team members.
- BS/BA in Accounting/Finance is required – a Masters/MBA/CPA is preferred;
- 15+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles within both startup and established high technology-related companies;
- International finance experience is preferred;
- Significant fundraising experience within a startup environment is required;
- Strong experience with contract negotiations is required;
- Deep experience in budgeting, forecasting and long-range planning within an evolving organization with global locations;
- Proven ability to build strong partnerships across the organization, globally;
- Experience with financial planning tools, including system design and implementation.
- Hands-on Approach – willingness to roll up sleeves and dive into detail to help support and improve planning process;
- Collaborative – leads by example, models and promotes strong partnerships with senior leadership, internal teams and external partners;
- High Performer – acts with a sense of urgency, with the end result in mind and is able to follow through to deliver exceptional results;
- Resourceful – applies creativity, challenges assumptions and identifies more than one way to solve problems;
- Strategic – sets the strategic direction and manages the delivery of results in a dynamic, thoughtful and inclusive environment.
Cadenza Innovation, Inc. offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, an entrepreneurial environment, and the opportunity for employees to enhance their careers and achieve greater levels of responsibility as the company grows.
Cadenza Innovation, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer