Cadenza Innovation, Inc. is an award-winning energy storage, clean tech innovation company based in Connecticut and answering the call for safe, low-cost, high-performing and longer-lasting lithium-ion batteries – today. Founded in 2012 by an internationally respected team of industry experts with more than 125 patents, the Company licenses its game-changing lithium-ion battery architecture – the ‘superCell’ – to manufacturers in the transportation, utility/grid and industrial markets. The Company is also directly manufacturing its products.
This is an excellent opportunity to get in with an exciting and dynamic, pre-IPO, startup company that offers tremendous growth, challenge and reward.
We are seeking a Corporate Counsel who is hands-on and has a background in corporate-related legal work. The Corporate Counsel is a full-time position based at our headquarters in Danbury, Connecticut and reports directly to our Chief Financial Officer.
- Liaison and advisory to executive management.
- Management of the Company’s legal affairs.
- Reviewing, negotiating, and drafting various legal contracts and related agreements, negotiating, and managing client and vendor contracts.
- Drafting and negotiating new and revised NDAs with potential vendors, partners, investors, employees, and consultants on a global basis to ensure protection of the Company’s intellectual property and that the Company’s agreements are with the appropriate entities. Working from the Company’s template NDA agreements.
- Responsible for weekly legal update provided to executive leadership in both written format and as part of a weekly meeting.
- Maintaining knowledge of the company’s legal documents and operations.
- Assisting Finance department in the regular updating of the Company’s corporate and investor data rooms.
- Facilitating filings of required forms and other statutory requirements, working with outside counsel as needed.
- Communicating and working with outside counsel
- Providing legal guidance and drafting for human resources legal issues and related documents, including updating the Company employee handbook, revising and drafting offer letters and preparing termination letters and agreements.
- Ensuring deadlines related to patents and intellectual property are met by outside counsel and internal IP creators.
- Advising executive leadership on various government affairs issues, including new laws, existing laws and legal rights that would impact the business, both domestic and international.
- Conducting detailed and timely due diligence on potential partners, vendors, investors, consultants and employees as needed; drafting summaries for executive team use.
- Member in good standing of the Bar in a state with the requirement that you would promptly meet the requirements to practice in Connecticut.
- A minimum of three years of prominent law firm or in-house counsel experience.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills. Ability to promptly draft legal agreements and related letters, and emails that are clear and accurate to non-lawyers, meet the Company’s business needs, and minimize any legal risk to the Company.
- Preference for a candidate with experience in the development of an international manufacturing supply chain work.
- Graduate of an ABA-certified law school.
- US citizen / Green card holder
- Hands-on Approach and Collaborative – willingness to roll up sleeves and dive into detail to help support the Finance and HR functions and the Office of the CEO;
- High Performer – acts with a sense of urgency, with the end result in mind and is able to follow through to deliver exceptional results;
- Resourceful – applies creativity, challenges assumptions and identifies more than one way to solve problems
- Strategic – evaluates options in the context of the Company’s strategic direction; and
- Communication – keeps colleagues informed of project status and regularly check-in to confirm company priorities are reflected in his/her priorities.
Position is based out of the Company’s Danbury, CT headquarters office near Exits 1 and 2 of I-84. Candidate must be able to easily commute to Danbury on a daily basis from CT or eastern New York state and be available for occasional travel to global business partners as well as state and federal agencies within the United States.
Cadenza Innovation, Inc. offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, an entrepreneurial environment, and the opportunity for employees to enhance their careers and achieve greater levels of responsibility as the company grows. Cadenza Innovation, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.